Advantages and disadvantages of acrylic nails
What are the artificial nails?
Artificial nails are extensions that are placed on the natural nail with various techniques or materials that allow us to have the nail always in perfect condition.
They are more resistant than natural and thicker nails. They hardly break or crack. Today we are going to focus on talking about acrylic nails.
Acrylic nails are those that are made with an acrylic powder. Acrylic powder (polymer) dries quickly when mixed with a liquid agent (monomer). For this reason they don’t need curing in a lamp, unlike gel nails.
The ways to perform the manicure can be through tips or molds. The tips have different forms that adhere to the nail. They can be cut and filed and are complementary to the use of products for acrylic or gel nails.
Mold fits and sticks just below the nail and has a curved shape. On this mold we make the shape of the nail. It requires more skill than using only tips because we are directly sculpting the nail over it. Hence the name given: sculpted nails. Nails can also be sculpted with gel.
Advantages of acrylic nails
- Protect natural nails from the damaging effects of enamels and other agents.
- Aesthetically they are more beautiful than natural ones and they can be given any shape and length, not to mention the possibilities of decoration.
- They are very resistant and avoid the cracking of the nails, so they are perfect for women with weaker nails or tending to break.
- Its maintenance is every 15-20 days (depends on the growth of your nail) and they are very durable.
- You can rebuild bitten and broken nails and always look perfect.
Disadvantages of the acrylic nails
- A poorly handled can cause infections, so it is important to have references and monitor that proper hygiene is kept in the center.
- Remove them require a good technique to not damage the natural nails or cause injury. As always it is important that a good professional does it.
- Some of the chemicals used in the process have a bad smell and are not good for health. The place where the nails are made should be well ventilated.
- Abusing its use can stop the growth of the nail.
Recommendations and tips
- We must weigh all the pros and cons before deciding if we want to start wearing nail extensions.
- First of all, choose a good nail salon (we can search for opinions on the internet) or ask for recommendations from people close to us who have worn or wear acrylic nails.
- Choosing a suitable color is important since we will take them at least 15 days. Also the form and the length are important. If we are not used to wearing long nails my recommendation is that the first time shouldn’t be too long since we will need a period of adaptation. The nails are harder and thicker and at first we may find it strange.
- Once we have chosen to keep them or change color is easier and cheaper. When we go to review them, they will simply file the surface of our acrylic nail and fill the base. This operation is simpler and cheaper than making the first mold.
- Cheap or poor quality materials are reflected in the state of the natural nail and also in the appearance of the artificial nail. As I always say “cheap is expensive”.
- Your beautician should always have sanitized materials. If you have doubts, ask him how he sterilizes them. Make sure you wear a mask and latex gloves.
- Never let your beautician cut your cuticles, because they cover the nail to protect it. You must push them back.
- Make sure first that you are not allergic to any component.
Removing the acrylic nails
Never remove your acrylic nails, it is a very serious error that you can pay dearly, with injuries and malformations that can be irreversible. A good nail technician will do it with professionalism, hygiene and care. In this way your nails will suffer as little as possible.
My opinion about acrylic nails
Wearing acrylic nails is a personal decision that should not be taken easily. I have worn them for quite some time and I have to say that I had a very good experience.
Try to do them in specialized centers with qualified professionals and a well-ventilated environment. Always analyze any change, ailment or symptom in your nails and fingers.
If possible, let your nails “rest” once in a while for some season to oxygenate and strengthen them.